So the two of you are taking the next step and decided it’s high time to put up house together. He likes his leather chairs in front of his big screen tv, and she likes her floral accent chairs with pastel cushions. Sounds like a divorce in the making, but how can we get around spending a fortune on lawyers before moving in together had even begun?
When we think of masculine décor, leather and animal hides, bulky furniture, dark colours, metal like copper and straight or angular lines come to mind.
Feminine décor usually refer to light colours, elegant, curvy shapes, a bit of bling like gold, and delicate patterns.
Combining the items so that both parties are happy, might take a bit of practise and a wrestle or two. I would like to suggest the following for a long and happy cohabitation:
- Keep communication lines open and be willing to compromise on a few things.
- Go shopping together for new items, but narrow choices down to only a few things to keep confusion to a minimum.
- Don’t go too pastel or frilly. Stick to neutral colours and natural elements that would work with anything.
- Present an idea as a whole and give each other a bit of time to get used to it before shooting it down.
- You will get away with quite a bit if you let him think it was his idea 😉
- Give him a man cave and the rest of the house will be yours to decorate as you please (kidding!)
For those of you who still fondly remember the movie “When Harry met Sally”, I leave you with a video about a quarrel about a coffee table. This will make you realise how frustrating setting up house together can be.
Cheerio ’til next time!